Thursday, November 19, 2009

Thankful?

Give Thanks to the Lord for he is good; his love endures forever!

Give Thanks to the God of gods; his love endures forever!

Give Thanks to the Lord of lords; his love endures forever!

Give Thanks to the God of heave; his love endures forever!
Psalm 136:1-3, 26

Give Thanks in all circumstances for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus!
1 Thessalonians 5:18

It is cliché, but I appreciate the reminder that Thanksgiving serves.  Each year, we have designated a day to remind us to give thanks.  At times the giving thanks portion gets overlooked as we gorge ourselves on turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, and pumpkin pie all in preparation for the shopping frenzy that is Black Friday. 

But, I want to remind us to pause and give thanks.  Whether you did this on Thanksgiving or not, take time now to pause and give thanks for all God has given you.  I am thankful for my wife and my family.  I am thankful for my friends.  I am thankful for this church.  I am thankful for the privilege to serve God in ministry.  I am thankful for the ability to get out of bed each morning.  Those are easy things to give thanks for. 

1 Thessalonians says that God’s will for us is to give thanks in all circumstances.  Many of us may be in tough life situations right now.  We may be jobless, without a loved one, in broken relationships, or battling health problems, but we are to give thanks despite these things.  The Bible teaches that in this world we will have trouble.  We are not to expect an easy life.  We live in a world that is in rebellion to God.  Our bodies fail.  Our relationships suffer.  God said that people will mistreat us, insult us, and mock us because we have chosen to follow Christ.  But, Jesus said, “take heart for I have overcome the world.”  Even in difficult circumstances, we can give thanks because of Christ.  I thank God that though I live in a rebellious world I follow a Savior who has overcome the world.  I thank God that I have a Savior who went to the cross on my behalf.  I thank God for Jesus who loves me and gave himself up for me.  Are you thankful?  Can you give thanks in all circumstances?  

May we each seek to give thanks to God for what he has done through Christ!

No comments: