Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Citizenship

"But our citizenship is in heaven.  And we eagerly await a Savior from there, the Lord Jesus Christ, who, by the power that enables him to bring everything under his control, will transform our lowly bodies so that they will be like his glorious body."
Philippians 3:20-21

I struggle with citizenship.  I was born at a hospital in Williamson County in the United States of America that makes me a citizen of the USA.  I have voting privileges.  I pay taxes, albeit grudgingly.  I am protected by the police, emergency services, and the military.  I obey the laws of the land, at least the major ones.  I have a problem with the one about a speed limit.  I live in the USA, but the Bible teaches me that I am not truly a citizen of the USA.  I have dual citizenship.  I am a citizen of the USA and a citizen of the kingdom of God.  However, these citizenships are not equal.  They are not on a level field, one is more important than the other.  My citizenship in God's kingdom is my true citizenship.  The kingdom is my true home.  It is the home that I was made for, but many days I don't live that way.  I live as if my only home is the USA.  Jesus tells me that my loyalty is not to my homeland, my parents, my wife, my friends, my job.  He says that my loyalty is to him alone.

So, what does it mean to live in America as a citizen of the kingdom of Christ?  Does it mean I go to church on Sunday and do good things?  Does it mean that I rebel against America and become an ascetic?  Does it mean I protest the military and war?  Does it mean that I become so heavenly minded that I am of no earthly good?  Does it mean that I obey the earthly authorities over me as long as their laws don't break the laws of Christ?

My current thought is that I am to be so heavenly minded that I am forced to be of earthly good.  As I am transfixed by the Savior, I must follow his example to touch, teach, feed, clothe, rebuke, love, and honor those I meet.


No comments: