Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Social Action

Tuesday night, I watched the movie Hotel Rwanda. It was a very difficult movie to watch. I could not believe we did nothing while we knew what was going on. But, I know there are similar slayings going on around the world, and yet we still do nothing. People are being murdered in lower Sudan over religious ideas. People are sick and dying, yet we do nothing. One line in the movie stood out to me, the Colonel of the UN peacekeepers tells Paul, that the west will do nothing because its Africa, they are dirt. If something happens in America, Western Europe, or Britain we act. But in Africa, Asia, or South America we turn the other way. I am trying to be more socially conscious of how I can help hurting people in my community and around the world. After watching the movie, I went to Amnesty USA to send a letter to Senator Obama about the conflict in Darfur. I stumbled onto a blog called onamercyship.com that chronicles the experiences of a photographer on a mercy ship that provides free medical care to people who can't afford it. Currently, he is docked outside Monrovia, Liberia. This is their first time in Liberia after their 14 year civil war. What can we do as Christian people to be more active in helping the hurting? How should we respond?

2 comments:

Mikey said...

Dave,
i appreciate your compassion and your willingness to do what it takes to be more socially aware...courtney and i have been on a similar journey for a little while now as well.

Adam said...

Dude I am totally with you. I think our government does an O.K. job of helping other countries. We do a lot and most of it is unnoticed. But some areas of the world helping is just a drop in the buckett and there are deeper issues than starvation. It is political corruption, big man feeding off the little man, social injustices.

Also Africa is wierd because it used to be owned by everyone else. England takes care of its countries, America takes care of its countries, Spain takes care of its countries and so on.

I watched a curriculum video about instead of focusing on what God loves, we focus on what he hates. Very good, too expensive.