Tuesday, March 01, 2011

Want

What is your biggest want? If God asked you what he could give you, what would you ask to receive?

My intial reaction is to ask for my debts to be paid off, for a new car, a house, a healthy family.

But recently, I began the Bible in 90 days reading plan.  I am on day 31 of 90.  The last couple weeks I have read the Old Testament historical books of Samuel, Kings, and Chronicles. Today, I read from 1 Chronicles 24 to 2 Chronicles 7.  This passage chronicles the end of David's reign and the beginning of Solomon's reign.  Solomon takes over for his father and begins his reign.  Yahweh comes to him at night and says, "ask for whatever you want me to give you." 

If God asked you that question, how would you respond?

The questions seems to imply that whatever Solomon asks for he will receive.  He is just starting his reign.  There are many things he could ask to receive.  He could ask for wealth, power, prestige, women, long life, healthy children, or military success.  Yet, he does not ask for any of these. 

Solomon says, "give me wisdom and knowledge that I may lead this people."

What a powerful request.  He seeks wisdom to lead well rather than material possessions, power, or prestige. 

God, let me lead well! 

That is my prayer and my request. 

Give me wisdom and knowledge that I may lead this people well!

If God asked you that question, how would you respond?

No comments: