Thursday, November 03, 2005

Holer Titus Football and the Male Ego

I am amazed at the competitive ego of men. We want to win so badly at almost everything. Ladies, I don't know how competitive you are or how you handle competition so I am going to refer strictly to guys in this post. For years, the Hole has lost the Holer Titus Football Game guarranteed. Yet, every year the Hole thinks it has a chance of winning. Then when we do lose, we get mad about it or we complain that if we had played the right guys we would have won. I am not a very competitive guy. I love to play sports and compete, but I don't get wrapped up in competition. However, there are times when I become extremely competitive and frustrated when I lose. This always occurs when I lose to a person or a team that in my mind I am better than. If I go into a competition thinking I am better than my opponent, I get very angry if I lose. Now, I am all for going out and giving 100%, but it seems men are more angered by losing to a "lesser" opponent than being beaten by a better or equal team after giving their all. For this reason, I believe pride is the root of the male competitive spirit. Its primarily when guys lose to somone whom they think they should beat that anger and tension occurs. If we could compete without our pride, we could really compete at 100% and truly have fun. If we could live our lives free from pride, what a free life we would have...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE LAMP

Lucas said...

Seriously, who won the game?

I don't mind losing. I just don't like it when Titus rubs it in, like they weren't expecting to win. That's like if the Yankees faced the cubs in the world series. If the Yankees win it shouldn't be bragged about. If the Cubs won, that would be reason to celebrate, cause it never happens.

Titus is a dorm of atheletes. If they win it's not a shocker and there is no need to trash talk about it.

So seriously, who won the game?

Super Dave said...

Da Bearssss, oh wait wrong game Titus won 7-0. It was a close game but we let everyone play so the level of talent was not well distributed.

Lucas said...

I'm glad people got to play. I was always one of those kids that cheered from the sidelines.
"Put me in the game coach!"

Adam said...

I bet we could beat them in wrestling, blow dart comp, video games, making pirate noises

Maybe football is just not our thing. Make up a sport and don't let them know all the rules so they definately loose